Re-thinking Iraq

By Bob Clasen

In retrospect, I question my own idealistic notion that Iraq offered an opportunity to install a democracy in the heart of the Mideast. I am very tempted to put my tail between my legs, abandon the Neocons, and ask the old fashioned "Realpolitik" Republicans if they will take me back, a sadder but wiser man. The balance of power between Iraq and Iran, Sunni and Shia, Hussein and the Ayatollah doesn't look nearly so bad to me now. George Bush Sr.'s decision to leave Iraq after the first Gulf War starts to make more and more sense.

It is interesting that some of the conservatives are dropping off the Bush-Cheney Titantic, like rats deserting a sinking ship, including George Will and perhaps Willliam F. Buckley. Debate is now out in the open among various conservatives as to what went wrong and what is to be done. The idea that a minimal occupation force could "Nation Build" in Iraq is looking more and more like a pipe dream. This Islamic culture is not going to be transformed in a few years. In the meantime, we need to get practical and start thinking about protecting ourselves from religious fanatics with modern weapons and no fear of death.

I wonder what other ideals and assumptions I am going to have to abandon in this war with a fanatical medieval religion, made rich with oil, and on the verge of obtaining nuclear weapons? This sort of culture is very difficult for me to understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

Victory in Fallujah

War on Terror