Secular Iraq

by Bob Clasen

I don't have much hope in Iraq with respect to the religious leaders running things. I keep hearing that we need to remember that the terrorists are extremists, not representative of the people. But where are the moderate Islamic leaders in Iraq or anywhere else? As you have suggested, we in the West have learned to take the Biblical injunction with a grain of salt. But how many Moslems advocate this approach? And if they do, are they in danger of being murdered for heresy? How many Moslem leaders are willing to publicly renounce the Koranic verses enjoining violence against the infidel (the ones I have quoted here repeatedly).


So I suppose the alternative is some sort of secular state. Bush is always talking about how everyone wants freedom. But do the Iraquis want freedom? Or do they just want their particular sect in charge, whether it be Shiite or Sunni or Kurdish?

I have to admit that I don't have a clear idea of the final state of Iraq we are working towards. What is the goal we are fighting for? Who are our allies in Iraq? Or anywhere else in the Islamic world?

If I was in the shoes of President Bush, I would not be very sure what I should do next. So I guess it is a good thing I am not in charge.

--------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

War on Terror

Rove Above the Law